The Postpartum Chills
“When I step out without sweater, I feel an extreme chill, even though there is no temperature dip down at our place.”
Do not worry moms that are usually a sign of postpartum chills.
And it is observed that most women haven’t heard about postpartum chills. We’ll try to explain to you, it is after delivery and during the first few days, you may feel extra cold and chills.
What could be the reason behind postpartum chills?
Postpartum chills can be witnessed by either caesarean section or vaginal birth.
- Generally, proper blood circulation helps to maintain our body temperature, but during delivery, the amount of blood loss results in changes in our body
- Hormonal changes after delivery.
- If you have an episiotomy during delivery and that is not healed yet.
- If you are breastfeeding and nipple has some soreness/ pain, then you may experience the chill.
- Anaemia and thyroid imbalance also could be a reason.
“Don’t stress yourself MoMsters;
these kinds of chills are just temporary, you will have a speedy recovery.”
When to contact your Doctor?
- If you feel chills with body ache and fever then this indicates infection or flu.
- Breast infection also called Mastitis, symptoms such as swollen breasts, chills, soreness or pain are suggested to contact a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
- Chills when you have a urine infection.
- Check the haemoglobin level…
- Check whether you have lumps in the breast.
- Check whether your urine as foul smell.
- Check your BP.
- In order to avoid sore breasts, nurse your baby every 2 hours once.
- After delivery, in order to reduce soreness around the vagina, a sitz bath is necessary that is sitting in a warm water tub for 5-10 minutes till recovery.
- Take a good rest and proper sleep (when the baby asleep, you too sleep).
- Drink warm water and stay hydrated.
- Eat nutritious food.
- Take vitamin and calcium supplements for 6 months post-delivery which should be suggested by the doctor.
- Do not lift anything heavier.
- Keep yourself warm by wearing a scarf, socks and sweaters at least for 6 months.
- After delivery till 1 year avoid water-related work example washing clothes, utensils etc.
“Dear MoMsters incorporate our tips and stay healthy.”
To encourage us, kindly share your views in the comments section below.