“My Baby won’t sleep at night and I need some rest”, it’s the common complaint that we hear from every new parent. Dear MoMsters cool down it’s quite normal; most of the parents have faced this.
With my experience, I have tried to list down a few solutions. Remember each baby is different and what works for me may not work for you. Find a solution that helps your present situation. If one doesn’t work, move on to another. At last, you’ll find something that works and you will get enough time to understand your baby’s sleep pattern!
“Generally a baby gets adapted to sleep well during nights from 3rd month onwards. But dear moms, some babies take a longer time to adjust to night-time sleep, which might be 6 months or even more.
Understanding sleep pattern, Month Wise:
Newborn – 5 Months.
A newborn will not sleep throughout the night anyway. They generally wake up every 3-4 hours for a feed. And during night time it’s your duty to feed him every 2- 3 hours for 20 mins. After 3 months some babies can be fed even when they are in deep sleep. If baby’s tummy is full, they don’t cry or disturb you at least for 3 hours
Feeding during nighttime should be followed for 6 months at least and don’t forget to burp after every feed.
Tips: Some babies start crying by sucking their hands. In that case, you need to feed him/her frequently, he/she might not be getting adequate milk, that’s the reason they suck hands and crying.
6 month – 11 Month:
- Check whether the baby is feeling uncomfortable due to the wet diaper.
- If the baby is having gas in the stomach; in that case try the cycling exercise before bedtime.
- If the baby is not able to sleep due to heat, then create a suitable environment and switch to a ventilated room.
- A baby suffering from a cold, running nose, blocked nose, or cough which disturbs sleep, in that case, try our safe home remedies (https://caringmomster.in/winter-special/common-cold-and-home-remedies-to-cure-it/) or consult your doctor.
- Other reasons for disturbed sleep could be teething or having a growth spurt.
What is a growth spurt?
During a growth spurt, your baby may be more restless and you may notice that he/she wants to be held all the time and they will cry when you put them on the bed. Also sometimes you may find sudden wake up from sleep and start weeping for a longer time. Don’t worry it’s normal.
What should you do during a growth spurt?
Respond to your baby’s cues and try to give her what she needs, such as extra feeds, a short nap on your lap, a soft lullaby, and cuddles.
Talk to your doctor if you’re concerned that his/ her symptoms might be something more.
If the one-year baby is not sleeping:
- Then check does he/she feels hungry?
- Diapers are wet?
- Does he/she oversleep during the daytime?
- If the child is on medication that can disturb her/his sleep.
- Provide deworming syrup. (Note: Only once per year)
- Before bedtime breastfeeds your infant full and burp for 20 mins after each feed and also make sure he is not suffering from colic, if so do cycling exercise or give Himalaya bonnisan drops / colicaid drops only when necessary and during the day Massage babies body with warm coconut oil and give a bath – (which relieves his body pain and helps in good sleep).
- Always feed your baby by holding an upright position (so that they don’t swallow air).
- Before breastfeeding mom should drink plenty of water.
- Make a regular schedule for sleeping and establish a bedtime routine such as reading books, rocking, and creating a soothing environment with soft lullaby music also make sure to comfort your baby when he or she is afraid.
- Usually, babies refuse to go to sleep without a parent nearby. Babies are comfortable sleeping in mothers lap, but it’s always better to practice to make them sleep in the comfortable cradle, I know it’s tough to shift from mother’s lap to cradle; definitely, it will take some time, but have patience they will get habituated with cradle slowly.
- If the baby is suffering from a cold, then avoid bottle feeding which is the root cause for infection. Continue breastfeeding and if find a blocked nose try to use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops- 2 drops in each nostril half an hour before feeding or sleeping.
- Avoid mobile or TV before bedtime.
- Suppose at night when baby wakes up, maintain to keep the lights and noise low. He should figure out night time is for sleeping, if they are cranky try to soothe them by rocking are singing a lullaby.
- Interact and play with your toddler during day time. Keep house bright and well lighted on the day.
- A good feeding and more playing will help your toddler. Give them rich food such as fruits and vegetables. Afternoon short sleep will be fine, but do not make them oversleep during the day.
Signs of sleep readiness
- Rubbing eyes
- Looking away
Health advice for parents:
- Take breaks whenever possible, sleep when your baby sleeps and doesn’t matter whether it is day or night.
- Keep away mobile phones from you and your baby, in order to avoid radiation.
- Try to keep your life simple at least till the baby reaches 1 year old.
- Get help from your relatives or friends whenever necessary.
- Eat Healthy foods and do some simple exercise such as walking or climbing stairs.
- Meditation helps to overcome postpartum depression.
- Join discussion forums to understand parenting tips.
Dear MoMsters, I hope this content helps all New MoMS! Kindly drop your comments.
You may also like to read a similar article