Is green poop in babies normal?
Dear Moms, here we go with some frequently asked questions by most of the mothers….
- Does green poop indicate an infection?
- Should I take my baby to the pediatrician if poop is green in color?
Don’t worry MoMsters, this post is exclusively for this topic only. we will clear all your doubts.
The reason for green poop is different for 3 stages of kids i.e. babies, toddlers, and older children.
Green poop in Babies
Imbalance of Foremilk/Hindmilk:
In the case of breastfeeding, there is thin and thick milk in our breast, if baby drinks only thin milk their poop color will be green i.e. they are taking in too much lactose (the natural sugar found in milk). Generally, liquidly foremilk is higher in lactose and lower in fat. Too much foremilk may also lead to gassiness.
whereas, hindmilk is rich in fat and has creamy consistency; it is gained at the end of a feed to fill him up.
(If you observe thin milk/foremilk comes out at the starting stage of feed, after 5 – 6 min thick milk/hindmilk will be sucked by baby.
Make sure your baby finishes feeding from one breast before your offer him your other one.
And check whether baby latching properly, bad latch also a reason for skipping thick creamy hindmilk. In that case check some feeding techniques or go for lactation consultants.
A simple cold can also be the reason for the green poop in babies, continue breastfeeding your baby under such circumstances, as breast milk contains antibodies that can help boost the baby’s immunity!- read, Common Cold in kids and home remedies to cure it!
If the stool is green with mucus, then he is suffering from infection or stomach bug. Consult doctor in such case.
Some babies are sensitive to something you are eating, check accordingly mothers diet and skip the food which creating problems. And also check whether the mother consumed spinach, peas? But don’t worry, it’s not harmful for the baby until he is cranky because of your diet.
During the teething phase, they end up swallowing excessive drool and saliva which leads to a green stool. Hence during teething keep baby’s surrounding clean and dust-free, make sure that they not chewing any cloth around them.
During jaundice phototherapy treatment, the new-borns can have green poop.
Brand of formula feed:
Some formula feed can make your baby’s poo dark green, in such case discuss with your pediatrician and go accordingly.
Green poop in toddlers and older children
Your Child’s diet
After 6 months, once you started semisolid food; if you find green poop then that must be due to green foods such as pureed peas, spinach, and green beans.
Another possible chance is an allergic reaction, did you gave any new food? Once you start semi solid food check for 3 days one single food and figure out which food is the cause of the reaction. Make a note in which food was eaten before allergy reaction and discontinue for a few days and then reintroduce after some days.
If a child taking iron supplements, then you may notice green poop; nothing to worry it’s a normal condition.
Another medication reason is antibiotics, if a lactating mother or baby has taken antibiotics then baby poop can be green colored; in that case, doctor may prescribe probiotics to avoid side effects of antibiotics.
When to see a doctor
- If your baby continues to pass green poop frequently for longer days, then check with the doctor.
- A sudden drop in weight coupled with green poop.
- Diarrhea or signs of dehydration.
- Green poop with blood tinges.
- a fever higher than 100.4°F
- Looking dull and lack of interest in eating.
General tips to avoid green poop
- Before breastfeeding, mom should drink plenty of water, per day at least 6 litre of water necessarily.
- Avoid giving cow milk/ buffalo milk to your baby before 1 year.
- For toddler/ older child, add curd and banana in their diet. (Curd, yogurt acts as probiotic which is good for maintaining intestinal flora.)
- Maintain hygiene while preparing formula feed and avoid feeding bottles, instead use a cup and spoon. Read – Common questions on Formula feed, click here for more details.
So, say goodbye to worries Mommies. Stay healthy and Stay Happy.. !!