Hey Momsters, are you worried about your kids this summer ?
They might be super excited to go out and play some outdoor games with their friends and you might be concerned about their health. You want to let them go but at the same time want them to stop for the sake of their health.
Take a deep breath and relax 🙂
Let your little ones enjoy this Summer,
Who doesn’t like to enjoy Summer Vacation ? Even when we were kids, didn’t we enjoy? Most of the time we might have ignored our Parents’ warning too… few of us fell sick and few remain fit throughout the summer…
Now, you can relate, right? It is our parents who were behind us to take care of us during those days. Now, it is our turn to let our kids enjoy this season and we shall take care of their health.
Hence, Summer Vacation is directly proportional to the enjoyment of the kids. Keep your child healthy and safe by taking some basic precautions and let them have beautiful memories during the summer.
1. Do you know how can your kids get vitamin D without sun damage?
During summer make your children engage in the indoor games and activities, in order to avoid scorching heat outdoors. But I know many parents will be wondering how to get Vitamin D without the sun damage. Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones. The main source of vitamin D is sunlight. A lack of vitamin D can cause bones to become soft and weak which can lead to bone deformities. Most people can make enough vitamin D from being out in the sun daily for short periods with their forearms, hands or lower legs uncovered. If you want to expose to the direct sunlight then the best time is morning 7 to 7.30 AM. Do not allow children’s to expose between 10 AM to 4 PM, because the UV exposure is at its peak. Another source of vitamin D is dietary supplements.
All babies from birth to 1 year old should compulsorily take vitamin D supplements.
2. The choice of the right fabric of clothes will make summer enjoyable for your kids.
- In summer avoid wearing tight clothes. The cloth should be breathable so that sweat is not trapped inside.
- Choose cotton fabrics during summer; avoid synthetic fabrics because they do not breathe. Cotton absorbs the sweat from your body and allows it to evaporate into the air.
- Lighter colors are better than dark colored cloths. A lighter color reflects most of the sun’s rays back into the atmosphere. Dark fabrics like black, dark blue absorb sun rays and trap their heat, making you feel hot.
- During summer select baby wraps which are cotton fabrics and breathable.
- Avoid additional layers of clothes for your babies in this season; also make sure the clothes of kids are plain without any extra works like frills, buttons that can irritate your baby’s skin.
3. Wear hat/use umbrella that casts a shadow on the face during outdoor.
4. Keeping cool
- It is important to keep baby comfortable in summer. In hot weather, babies are at the risk of heat rash, dehydration, sunburn, and heatstroke. Babies become overheated much more quickly than adults.
- For children, more than 5-year-old, give a bath before bedtime.
- Keep your child’s bedroom cool during the day by closing the windows with curtains.
- A fan can help to keep the room cool. But fans should never blow directly on the baby and should be out of the baby’s reach.
Note: Never leave a baby or child inside a vehicle all alone.
5. If your child gets a sunburn:
- Place a cool compress on the sunburn.
- Apply cool aloe gel to the burned skin.
- Give your child plenty of fluid.
Even though if your child is ill or has boils, it seems like a fever than visit your doctor.
6. Body massage tips during summer
- During summer giving body massage for kids is beneficial.
- Choose the right oils in the summer.
- Choose the oil that goes well with your baby’s delicate skin.
- I suggest olive oil and coconut oil are best during this season.
- After massaging the baby, immediately take them to bath in order to allow the skin to breathe.
7. Maintaining the hygiene of kids during summer is very important.
- Regular baths and wearing clean clothes are good hygiene practices. Adults and children’s should wash your hair 2 or 3 times a week in summer.
- Change your child’s clothes 2 times a day. One in the morning and another evening.
- Do not let your kids exchange things from other kids (like handkerchiefs, shoes, socks, spoon, and sipper).
- If you are sending your child for swimming pools ensure that your child has a proper bath after they come out of the swimming pool.
- Make sure kids always wash hands and feet after playing. And also make sure children wash their face 2 times a day with water or mild soap to avoid infection, sweat or pimples due to infection.
8. Avoid using oil-based skin products on children to reduce the risk of clogging their sweat glands.