Itching during pregnancy is a common skin problem and yes you may wonder what’s causing this? Is this normal?
Let me tell you what causes itching during pregnancy?
- Stretching skin: During pregnancy when your size of skin stretches especially increase in belly size leads to itchy skin. (Remember scratching the skin area worsens the stretch mark after delivery).
- Hormones: A sudden hormonal change affects the skin tone such as dryness, itchy skin.
- Obstetric Cholestasis: If Itching worsens and non-stop or unbearable & worse at night, then it is a serious Liver condition usually observed in the last 3 months of pregnancy. In this disorder, itching happens usually on the palms and soles of the feet. Discuss with your doctor for further treatment.
- Due to increased blood supply during pregnancy.
- Sensitive to perfumes and detergents.
- And most women complaints that they get a severe itch in the belly and sides of their breasts, and yes this is due to growing uterus and the skin size changes particularly in the belly area and breasts.
Remedies for Itching during pregnancy:
- The use of aloe gel or moisturizer helps with dry skin.
- Consult a doctor for an anti-itch lotion that is safe to use in order to reduce itching.
- Apply pure coconut oil to the itchy area.
- Eat healthy fruits and vegetables, which improve skin tone.
- The skin should be well-hydrated, consume at least 8 glasses of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and protect from toxins.
- During summer drink coconut water.
- Bath with a gentle cleanser and avoid hot water for bathing.
- Avoid highly chemical-based perfumes and detergents.
- Wear cotton breathable clothes.
- Avoid caffeine, spicy and oily food.
- Some women also experience vaginal itching during pregnancy, which could be sweat accumulation, in that case, keep the area dry and use breathable cotton cloths. There can be itchy due to urine infection too; in that case, doctor consultation is necessary.
When should you see a doctor?
“Usually mild itching is normal during pregnancy; anything has intense itchy or symptoms gets worse than doctor consultation is recommended.”
- If Itching worsens and non-stop or unbearable & worse at night (that can be a sign of a serious liver condition called Obstetric Cholestasis).
- Lack of appetite.
- Dark Urine.
- Pale bowel movement.
- Yellowish of skin.
- Itching and Rashes with raised lumps (called Polymorphic eruption of pregnancy a kind of skin condition).
- If itching everywhere.
I hope all New Moms are clear with doubts, please make yourself comfortable by following our tips, and don’t worry, itching is one of the pregnancy symptoms and you would stop scratching after your delivery.
Have a Happy Pregnancy.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]