“Please consult your pediatrician Surbhi(an imaginary character), Your baby should have started walking by this time, he is already 12 months old now” – Suggestion by few wellwishers
“Oh! my baby started crawling by this month, I think you should give him a regular and proper massage” – Suggestion by few more wellwishers
and what not ??
can you relate Mommies?
Have you heard these kinds of comments/suggestions ???
Phewww….. you are not alone to face all these demoralizing comments.
There are many other moms including me and my fellow members who once heard these comments in disguise which were named as suggestions.
You might have felt if you are doing something wrong or not doing something which is really needed for your baby to transit from one stage to another stage.
It creates self-doubt or a pang of guilt and we start comparing our kids with another one and feel very low.
Please hold on !! Control your thoughts which have been turned into negative and demoralizing thoughts over a period of time.
Please be informed that for a baby it takes time to transit from one stage to another.
and it absolutely depends on babies when they will be ready for the next stage. There is a range of months, not a particular month. Hence, if your baby is in between those ranges and still about to take up the next stage, then there is no point in worrying.
Just to make you more comfortable, I will try to list down a few stages and a range of months during which a baby can show those developmental stages.
- Vision : Newborn can see objects that are 8-15 inches away
- Sound : Responds to sound by 1 month
- Smile : Begins to smile by 3rd month and laughs out loud by 4th to 5th month
- Teething : Begins by 6th to 7th month.
- Rolling over : 3 to 5 months
- Neck Stability: By 6 Months
- Sitting With support: 4 to 7 Months
- Sitting without support: by 8th Months
- Crawling which includes crawling like a snake and then proper crawling with the help of hands and knees: by 9 to 10 months
- Standing by taking support: in between 9 to 15 months till they start walking
- Walking: 9 Months to 16 Months
- Talking: by 6 months 2 or 3 words like gaga, mama, baba, etc and by the end of 2 years few phrases. In between, it is just a combination of 6 to 7 words.
So, I hope after reading it one can take a sigh of relief that their kids are absolutely normal. Now, the question is how to ignore those negative sounds and still continue the relationship. I will suggest just smile and say “wow! your baby is really smart” good to see such fast progress.” or “Yeah! we had a meeting with the pediatrician yesterday or recently, he said few babies take time to walk or crawl, etc (be very honest), and based on the situation.
Last but not the least, If you are reading this article, then you know what “NOT” to say to the other mom 🙂
You can ask in comment section, if you have to face such situations. We will try to share few more points.
Have a great and confident day 🙂